Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Evaluation Task 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of film openings)


For my film I used conventions of film production in my opening credits. I produced an Ident at the beginning of my film, which is something that all films have. I also intersected film footage with screens of titles, which is a commonly used device; i.e. was a technique used in the film High Crimes (2002). I did this because I wanted to display the key information of cast and crew, without drawing the viewers attention away from the actual happenings of the opening.

I added a black and white filter to beginning of my opening, to create an intense flashback that couldn’t be achieved with just normal lighting. The connotation of black and white in film, usually imply vintage, CCTV footage or flashbacks. Therefore my audience would not be confused with the jump between an ambient street to a bedroom, and will identify that my character is having a flashback. I also added a dark filter in my bedroom scene, this is conventional of thriller and horror films as dark lighting and general darkness can induce fear as it represents the unknown and you can’t see what is coming until it does, for example in the thrillers Hide & Seek (2005) and Cabin Fever (2002).


My location choice challenged the usually conventions of thriller, conventionally the scene is meant to appear dark and melancholy, however I wanted a more realistic urban feel for my film. I wanted an ominous atmosphere, but felt catching the audience when they least expect it would be the most effective method of achieving this.

(Some films located in London)

For the title of my opening sequence, I used a cross between a graphical and Gothic font. A font like this can advocate that the film is urban, with some graphic scenes included. However the font in in some way is simple capital letters, but the bold font represents the bold robust character of Drake. The title of my film epitomises the underlying story of my film. (Read my pitch section for a better understanding)

Props are a necessity to add credibility to a film. The main character in my opening sequence is in fact "on the run" and therefore this was a terrific opportunity to produce a false newspaper story. The genre of my film is a thriller; therefore the element of realism is, a key factor I had to take into account when decide the character costumes. Drake is wearing jeans and a Burberry top, garments such as these - are popular trends in modern times. Teenagers wear garments like this on a regular occurrence, allowing the target audience to build a relationship with Drake.

In conclusion in opening I managed to use, develop and challenge film conventions. Using them added tone and atmosphere to my project. Whilst developing them exercised my creativity and added originality to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment